Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Milestones

Milestones... it's a word you never used very often until you became a parent. Then, you live by them. Each time your child surpasses a milestone, you're proud and immediately compare them to other children (Even your own). Some milestones are so major, you remember when and where you were when they happened, like the first step or the first word.

I remember where I was for both with Matteo. Heck, for Matteo's first step, I even remember the date off the top of my head, July 22nd, 2008... don't ask me why. (BTW, I was at work and Sean was at home in the living room when Matteo took his first step. I got a phone call from a very proud papa, and witnessed the feat for myself the very next day).

Little Miss Lily is starting her own set of milestones. It's one of the first ones a baby can do, but it's also one of the most special because it means that your newborn (aka bump on a log) is becoming a real person with a personality... it's the first time they SMILE at you. Lily has been giving smiles that were questionable to both Sean and I for the last couple weeks or so, but now, she's really blossoming. Full out smiles while looking straight at you. It's sooo cute!

I remember where I was when Matteo first started doing that (sitting on the couch while Sean and I were making faces at him... I even got a picture of one of his first ones). And now I won't forget where I was when Lily had her first smile. Yesterday, while I was holding Lily, Sean started talking to her and suddenly she cracked a full on grin, complete with a dimple on her right cheek.

Then, just to prove it wasn't a fluke, this morning, while sitting in her swing she made "friends' with her animals on her mobile and kept smiling at them. Unfortunely, no video because they were so random, but it is documented for postarity in this blog :-)

This is just the first of many milestones Lily will accomplish, but it's one of my favorites. Can't wait to see what she does next!

No comments: