Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's all about the dress

Well, Matteo has officially been initiated. This past weekend we got Matteo baptised. Neither Sean nor I go to church on a regular basis, and always feel guilty about it, but seeing as how we're both Catholic, it was something we needed to do.

The real motivation to do this was the fact that my family has a antique baptismal gown that my great grandma Lillian Hill made. It was made back in 1910 for my grandma and her sisters. Since then over 100 babies have been baptised in it; including my dad and my brother and me; and the dress has traveled all over the US and even to Europe.

It's really a priceless antique heirloom...and here we are putting an infant in it! Needless to say, I was very nervous. I had an emergency burp cloth nearby and did our best to keep him distracted from the fragile lace. One quick quiz from the priest (does anyone really know when the epiphany really happened?!) and three pours over the head, and Matteo was officially a Catholic.

The dress made it back into the box for good (after another quick photo op at my parent's house) and it is officially out of my hands, no worse for the wear. I think it truely might have been, a miracle!!

No comments: